Too many stakeholders? How to manage communication and get them onboard.
Many organizations, especially big ones, have a large number of stakeholders. Even start-ups could mean everyone within the organization wants to weigh in on decisions. While ensuring they all generally have a sense for everything going on, striking the perfect balance between how much they know and what they are able to impact is often a challenge many clients face. Here are a few tips to consider as you navigate this problem.
When and who to include?
- At the start of a project:
- Create the “task force” with the key POC representatives for each department/entity — these POCs will be responsible for disseminating information to their group, as well as collecting streamlined feedback from their group when needed
- Request input upfront that should be considered throughout the development and execution process — these stakeholders have valuable information that can help prevent missteps later
- Mid-way point of the project:
- As things start to take shape, provide a check-in to POC representatives to show project status
- If requesting feedback, provide strict guidelines on what elements they are able to provide feedback on — only the factual details vs. subjective “creative” elements
- Project completion:
- Present high-level output as an Executive Summary, making sure to highlight the level detail and the research/work that went into developing the project so ensure it is airtight against subjective concerns
- Do not provide opportunity for feedback, but do provide a next steps timeline for future share-outs — i.e. when the elements from the project go live, when there are opportunities for results and optimizations and what factors will lead to these, etc.
Still need help managing and tailoring the communication to the various stakeholders? Here at Ignited, we are experienced marketing consultants — specializing not only in strategizing and executing on your marketing plans, but adapting and presenting it to various stakeholder audiences.
Contact us today!
#IgnitedPOV #IgnitedInsights #TopicTalk